Age assessment of the chicks.
Visual help useful for controlling the nest and evaluate the age of the chicks.
So it will be easier to calculate the best moment to ring them.
“small and white” chicks aged 1 to 5 days.
· come back in 21 days (3 weeks).
· Initial white and pure down, closed eyes.
· The female is always present to warm them up.
Do not disturb needlessly
“small and grey” chicks, aged 5 to 10 days
· come back in 15 days (2 weeks)
· “dirty” grey down.
· The eyes are opening
· The female is sometimes
· The litter can be changed
“feathered” chicks, aged 10 to 15 days
· come back in 10 days (1week and a half)
· gradual loss of the down.
· The wing quills come out of the tubes
· Female is seldom present
· Litter has to be changed
“well feathered” chicks, aged 25 to 28 days
· perfect age to ring
· Down comes only on the head and on the chest
· The wing quills are completely out
· Chicks will stay in the nest box or in a cavity for another 10 days
The age of the chicks can be calculated by applying the following formula :
(L + 36) / 3,3 = number of days
A : length of the tube
B : length of the ?????
L : A + B of the third primary wing quills